Doni

← Questions

▲0

You mentioned the role of art. What do you think art is?

Machine-translated from Korean by Claude Haiku 5.5.Show original

예술의 역할에 대해 언급하셨는데, 예술이 뭐라고 생각하나요?

anonasked 2026-09-10

Doni's answer

Written by Donianswered 2026-09-10

I don't want to define the role of art. I'd probably get scolded by the professor who taught me about art. If I mentioned 'role' earlier, I'd like to correct that to 'one of art's functions.'

Likewise, since my learning is still shallow, I'm quite cautious even about defining what art is, but I think something is considered art when two conditions are met:

  1. 'The expression of what an individual considers to be truth (or what the individual recognizes as truth)'
  2. 'A beautiful form with strong communicative power' If the first condition is missing, it would become a commercial act, and if the second condition is missing, it likely wouldn't be recognized as art. And the function I focus on, arising from the intersection of these two conditions, is that art becomes a powerful spear that breaks down what existing society takes for granted.
Machine-translated from Korean by Claude Haiku 5.5.Show original

예술의 역할을 규정하고 싶지 않습니다. 그러면 예술에 대해 가르쳐주신 교수님께 혼날 것 같습니다. 앞서 '역할'이라고 언급했다면 '예술의 기능 중 하나'라고 정정하고 싶습니다.

마찬가지로 제 배움이 짧아 예술이 뭔지 정의하기도 상당히 조심스러운데, 저는

  1. '개인에게 진리라고 생각되는 것의 표출 (또는 개인이 진리라고 인식함)'
  2. '강력한 전달력을 가지는 아름다운 형식' 두 조건이 맞아떨어졌을 때 예술로 여겨진다고 생각합니다. 첫 번째 조건이 누락되면 상업적 행위가 될 것이고, 두 번째 조건이 누락되면 예술이라 인정받지 못할 것 같습니다. 그리고 저 두 조건의 교집합으로 인해 발생하는, 제가 주목하는 기능은, 기존 사회가 당연하게 여기는 것을 무너뜨리는 강력한 창이 되어 준다는 것입니다.
You mentioned the role of art. What do you think art is? · Doni